St Peter's Church, Curdridge
The Church Building SO32 2DR
Click here for Google Map
- built in 1888 in a high Victorian style, in a pretty churchyard setting
- the building seats 120 in pews and has a small kitchen and toilet
- the area at the back of the church has been opened up and is used for meetings, coffee after services and a childrenís play area during services
- the congregation welcomes people of all ages to our services
- there is an excellent peal of 8 bells that are rung regularly by locals and visitors from further afield
- open during the day for private prayer and visitors
Curdridge parish was created in 1894. It is a small rural village made up of Victorian and modern houses and cottages. There are around 500 households within the village. There is some social housing close to the church. The population of the village is around 1,300 (of which the largest age group is 45-64). Most residents of the village are retired or professional persons who commute to work outside of the village. Consideration is being given to the provision of some new affordable housing within the village.
Curdridge has good village amenities including a community-run village hall (Reading Rooms). A lot of community events and activities take place in the Reading Rooms including a well-attended pre-school, open five mornings each week, an active drama group, Lunch Club, Friendship Club, gardening and floral clubs, keep fit and the very popular History Society. Members of the church congregation are involved in many of these groups and activities.
The Church uses the Reading Rooms for fundraising and community events such as the Harvest Supper. The Curdridge Show is a large community event that takes place each July and raises a considerable amount of money for the Reading Rooms. It attracts visitors from far and near and is supported by many of the villagers.
The Scout and Guiding groups are very popular and well attended. The Scout and Guide HQ is situated next to the Reading Rooms and their hall is also used for community events, as well as a weekly Parent and Toddler Group.
The Cricket Club is very active and has been in existence for over 100 years. Its centenary year boasted a visit from the MCC. There are also two playing fields/football grounds and a play area. Fairthorne Manor (a YMCA outdoor activity centre) is in the parish as is Botley Railway Station with a direct line to London Waterloo. There are also two nursing homes and a home specialising in care for persons with dementia. The village has equestrian centres, farm shops and two pubs. The village mini-bus which is run by volunteer drivers is used for various transportation needs and the Care Group arranges transport to local hospitals and local surgeries.
The Parish Magazine has a regular monthly circulation of 350. Click here to read the magazine.